Eating Clean – What Does It Mean? And How To Do It?
The words ‘eating clean’ always seem to conjure up horrific images of plain brown rice and chicken with steamed broccoli – plain boring and generally tasteless food that has to be eaten for necessity rather than pleasure.
So why eat clean in the first place?
Because it is crucial for good health, both inside and out. In simple words, one can get out only what one puts in. Think of the body as a machine: the better quality fuel you give it, the better your body performs. Give the body what it needs to function properly and it will do what you want; give it things that it cannot use properly and it starts to misbehave.
Food choice affects everything from fitness goals to how one feels on a daily basis, so eat to suit one’s needs.
So what is eating clean then?
In a nutshell, it involves:
- Avoiding trans fats, processed polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats at all cost.
- Avoiding the heavily processed fibreless carbohydrates and eating whole grain carbs for the majority of your intake.
- Avoiding the processed protein sources like chicken nuggets, reformed meats, and turkey Twizzlers (make your own burgers if necessary!).
- If one does consume processed fibreless carbs, eating them with some fibrous vegetable. (Remember variety in diet is the key.)
- Avoiding combining fast carbohydrates and trans fats.
So what about all the things that you used to enjoy before?
One of the most important things to stress on about eating clean is sustainability; even while eating clean most of the time you will get urges for the food items you used to enjoy that aren’t considered clean. So where do these items belong then? In the diet, of course; a 90/10 rule is considered perfectly acceptable in terms of calories derived from clean to dirty foods. If one fancies a Mars bar or a chocolate croissant, then work it into your daily macros; don’t deprive yourself of the foods you love. Just remember this is a lifestyle change and, as long as the majority of your calories are sourced from clean foods, a few dirty calories here and there will have little negative impact.
Of course, if one does not feel like doing that, they can have the old tried and tested method of 100% clean the whole week and one cheat meal. This might work for some but not for others. One can also opt for various anabolic supplements if one is educated about Anabolic steroids directions of use.